Thomas E. Strauss, Inc. is a family-owned hospitality group based in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Our businesses include:
Welcome to Thomas E. Strauss, Inc.
The Thomas E. Strauss, Inc., hospitality group story begins in 1929 when Anna Miller served chicken and waffles to truckers as they waited for her husband to repair their rigs. From her kitchen grew what is known today as Miller’s Smorgasbord, one of the most recognized restaurants in Lancaster County – and the first smorgasbord in the area to boot!
A lot has happened since then and the hospitality group has grown and diversified. Today, we operate a number of well-known businesses including:
- Smokehouse BBQ and Brews – a BBQ restaurants serving smoked meats and traditional BBQ as well as excellent, local draft beer, wine and specialty cocktails.
- AmishView Inn & Suites – TripAdvisor’s #1 Lancaster County boutique hotel serving both families and adult-only guests with THE best hot, hearty breakfast buffet.
- Locally Made Food Shop – our retail store offering jams, jellies, baked goods (from Miller’s Bakery), olive oils, pickled items, cheeses, snacks and so much more – all made right here in Lancaster County.
- The Quilt Shop at Miller’s – a 3,000+ square foot showroom featuring over 600 hand-stitched quilts made by Lancaster Country Amish and Mennonite artisans. In addition, we offer quiltlets, wooden clocks, toys, quilting patterns, ornaments and so much more!
- Plain & Fancy Farm – serving groups of 20 or more persons with special group dining and pricing.
- The Bakery at Miller’s – supplying delicious home made baked pies, whoopie pies, cookies, breaks, cinnamon rolls, sticky buns and more to our restaurants and to wholesale.
- Miller’s Smorgasbord – of course this is where it all began with the traditional smorgasbord and our soup and salad smorgasbord. All you care to eat!
You may be hired to work in any one of our hospitality businesses. Within that business, you may have the opportunity to work in various roles depending on your skill set and your desire to learn. We encourage our employees to learn all aspects of the business so when opportunities for advancement arise, we may promote from within.
From time to time, other business units within our hospitality group may need additional help. We also encourage our employees to cross-train between businesses for the betterment of themselves and the entire organization.
What Our Employees Have to Say About Us
Here are some employee perspectives on their work experience with Thomas E. Strauss, Inc.